Ethos and Values
To ensure that no young person is educationally disadvantaged.
The ‘Summerfield Family’ is built on the core values of ‘Caring, Believing and Understanding’ and strives to provide a safe and supportive environment where all pupils have high aspirations, thrive, both personally and academically, and succeed in being the best that they can be.
- To provide inclusive education and support for pupils who have been permanently excluded from mainstream secondary schools.
- To promote positive communication between home, school, pupil, and the local authority in developing resilience and thus enabling them to return to mainstream school where appropriate.
- To facilitate experiences and learning that instils emotional intelligence through a sequential curriculum and extensive pastoral support in order to promote learning skills necessary for pupils to progress in life and learning and become good citizens.
- To set high expectations that believe in pupils’ potential while understanding their need.
- To provide pupils with the opportunity for mainstream experience when it becomes appropriate to do so.
- To help parents feel safe and welcome in school through communication that encourages parent and child cooperation and positive engagement in the child’s emotional progress, skills, and learning.
- To ensure pupils have access to therapeutic input that is appropriate and relevant for the individual pupil and is part of a ‘joined-up service’ where all professionals involved with the pupil share information which will ensure progress that involves the ‘whole child’